Graduate and Advanced Undergraduate Students will:
- Conduct self-designed research proposals for application in South African community-based settings, sites, and contexts (Pretoria, Johannesburg, and Soweto).
- Be trained in theoretical and applied Africana Studies research methods by Michigan State University and University of South Africa faculty and scholars.
- Conduct international, short-term observational or participatory field research in South Africa
- Develop ethnographic, archival, and cultural competency skills for cross-cultural research
- Be provided access to research institutes and institutions including libraries in South Africa
- Archie Mafeje Institute for Applied Social Policy Research,
- UNISA Library & Center for Pan African Language Cultural Development
- Mapungubwe Institute for Strategic Reflection, Johannesburg
- Apartheid Archives at the University of Pretoria